Carnitas (Shredded Pork)
Source Recipe: Flo Lum Carnitas
Ingredients: (source: Flo Lum)
- 2lbs pork butt/shoulder roast KB: I ended up using 3 lbs as that was the last package left
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, bruised KB: I forgot to grab these so I went ahead without them.
- 1T kosher salt
- 1-2 cups of water KB: I tried to keep the ratio 1 cup of liquid to 1 lb of pork. In this case, I ended up using 2 cups of water and 1 cup of liquid carnita seasoning.
- KB: I ended up using this for seasoning. 8 oz. packet of chipotle-lime carnita seasoning. This and 2 cups of water ended up being 3 cups of liquid to my 3 lbs of pork shoulder.
Instructions: (source: Flo Lum)
- Cut up the roast into 1.5″-2″ cubes and put all the ingredients in the liner of the Instant Pot. KB: Water, liquid spices, seasoning, salt, pork shoulder, and bayleaf.
- Close and lock the lid, making sure the sealing knob is on sealing. KB: Instant Pot Manual Mode for 45 minutes.
- Once the cooking is done, you can release the pressure by the quick or natural pressure release.
- Option 1: Heat up a frying pan and add some oil. Fry the pieces of pork until nicely browned on both sides. Option 2: Spread the meat out on a sheet pan (KB: Shred the carnitas. You can use a fork or similar to just crush them. They’ll fall apart easily.) and place under broiler (KB: On Hi.) until nicely browned and turn them over and brown the other side. KB: We ended up using option 2 as it was a much cleaner method. For best results, we recommended you really allow the carnitas to burn. Get them to a nice dark brown color/almost black. Some burning is GOOD! Experiment and see what works best for you!
- Serve with rice, beans, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. You can also make burritos or tacos.
Super easy and super delicious. 3 lbs of pork shoulder was enough to serve 4 people. We ended up using the carnitas for tacos. Corn tortillas and topped with cilantro, onions, and lime juice.