Super easy chicken noodle soup recipe! Just follow the recipe. Fair warning that you’ll have a lot of chicken meat. Either save the meat and use it for a different recipe, or consider getting a smaller chicken and supplementing with chicken bones or chicken broth.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces KB: Too much carrots. The broth tastes more like veggie soup than it does chicken. Will try 3 carrots next time.
- 2 celery sticks, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces KB: I like celery. I will do 3 celery sticks next time.
- 1 whole 5 pound chicken, giblets removed and discarded
- 2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 8 cups of water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces of extra wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup of minced fresh flat leaf parsley
KB: Notes: Here’s the original recipe from No. 2 Pencil I’ve added my notes in bold. I’ve been spoiled with Pho Ga growing up, so I tend to like my chicken noodle soup with prominent Chicken flavors. Easily serves 5-6 people.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute function.
- Heat olive oil and onions until onions start to soften and become translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrots and celery and saute for another minute.
- Add whole chicken to Instant Pot, followed by water, soy sauce, 2 teaspoon of salt and several turns of freshly ground pepper.
- Turn off Saute function, lock Instant Pot lid in place, make sure pressure valve is set to sealing and set Instant Pot to High Pressure for 20 minutes, via manual mode. KB: As the broth didn’t really bring out the chicken flavor, I would recommend running the Instant Pot for a little longer. I ran mine for 25 minutes.
- Instant Pot will take 15-20 minutes to come to pressure, then will countdown from 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes at high pressure, Instant Pot will beep and switch to keep warm mode.
- Turn pressure release valve to Quick Release pressure.
- Carefully open Instant Pot, keeping lid angled away from you to avoid very hot steam.
- Remove whole chicken and set aside to shred.
- Turn Instant Pot back to Saute function and let chicken broth come to a boil.
- Stir in egg noddles and let cook for about 5 minutes.
- While noodles are cooking, shred chicken into bite sized pieces discarding bones and skin.
- Once noodles are cooked, stir in chicken meat and fresh parsley.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.